Thursday, January 28, 2010

Cioccolata con latte (Hot chocolate with milk)

The title for this post is appropriate because I am currently drinking hot chocolate that was dispensed from a machine. I know that this is not a completely new idea, but it excites me immensely nonetheless.

I am currently typing away in the student lounge of our school, where I get to go every day for a half hour as my class gets out earlier than everyone else. Today was okay. The language is difficult to be "good" at, in my opinion. I struggle understanding conversation and then, of course, responding. But I am pretty good with grammar. I did pretty well on our first quiz today, only making one minor mistake. So that was encouraging. I have asked so many people for advice on how to improve speaking and reading and listening, and they just say practice, and that it will take time. Good advice, but it gets frustrating along the way.

Yesterday, I went to the .99 centissimi store, equivalent to our dollar store. It was AMAZING. I bought two notebooks and some lotion for 2.97 euro. These stores are like all over the place. I really hope they have them in Roma. Other than that excitement, I didn't do much yesterday, with the exception of getting thoroughly confused about my Italian phone...it's incredibly difficult to have a broken English-broken Italian conversation about something as important as my means of communication here. I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually.

Today, I'm going to tour the Uffizi gallery and then off to the opera! This opera is called "L'Italiana in Algeri," and my Italian professor tells me that it is a comedy. I'm very excited. Tomorrow morning at 8 AM (ugh), we leave for Venezia! It's going to be unbelievably cold there. I'm literally already wearing all my layers here in Firenze - we're talking layers and layers...leggings under jeans with boots zipped up to the knee, multiple long-sleeve shirts with my rugby, sweater, and pea coat, as well as wool gloves and hat. If I freeze to death this weekend, it was a pleasure knowing all of you! Kidding! It should be fun, I'm sure, despite the weather. I'll be sure to take lots of pictures and journal so I will be able to relay my adventures to you all on Monday.

Abbiate in cura! (Take care!)

4 comments:

  1. Hope you have a great time in Venizia! Can you put "some" pictures out on your blog? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you so much. But I adore your words, you make me feel like I am right there with ya. Send postcards love.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    Best,

    Hannah Katy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie, Your grandmother, and I have been following your blog since you started posting. We are excited for you, and hope you are successful with your Italian. We talked to your mother today, and she said we should get a Skype account. So, we got an account, found you on Skype, and left you a message. Have much fun, and enjoy the trip.
    Love Grandma & Grandpa Hooton

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Allie- Your Mom told me about your blog - great idea! Love to read about your adventures and all that you are learning. Take care, stay warm and ENJOY this once in a life time experience! Love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete