Monday, January 18, 2010

It Begins... (Comincia...)

I decided to start this blog as a way of keeping in touch, and of course as a way for friends and family to "stalk" me if they so desire. For those of you with no Italian knowledge at all, "la dolce vita" means "the sweet life," the life I hope to have for the next three and a half months. I will try to keep this thing updated, but my internet access is limited, so bear with me.
-----
Tonight is my last night in America for the next 107 days.

I have just finished dinner with my family. A nice sendoff: steak, potatoes, green beans, and salad, followed by a nice big cake to celebrate my brother's 25th birthday early. A nice American meal before I venture Italian cuisine for a while, for which I am very excited. And I definitely am excited, but more so nervous. I have never been one for uncertainty
or spontaneity. But that's the really beautiful thing about this experience. I will have to be. I will be thrown into a completely different world, and my sheltered lifestyle will finally be shattered, in a good way. I will be introduced to things that I have never seen, people that I have never met, and food that I have never even heard of. I will be the most independent that I have ever been. But I will be sure to keep in touch, of course.

I have been looking forward to this experience since the summer before I was a senior in high school, when I began touring colleges.
So this is it. I'll probably be up all night, as I am absolutely too nervous (and excited) to sleep. So arrivederci a tutti! And a special thank you to everyone who has helped me through the predeparture process, especially my parents.

Good luck to everyone while I am away, and know that I'll be thinking of you when I go wherever la dolce vita takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment