Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bellissima!

Today I found my way from Piazza del Popolo to my apartment in Trastevere without a map, on my own (not to worry anyone – especially my mother – it was 4:00 in the afternoon..or 16:00 by an Italian watch). I took at wrong turn along the way, but I was able to get back on track and put myself on the side street where one can find Giolitti, the most amazing gelaterria in all of Rome (not that I have tried all the gelato in Rome, but seriously…watch me), right by il Panteon (it competes with the gelato by la Fontana di Trevi, but I will let you all make the decision for yourselves when you get the chance).

My shining moment of independent and geographic domination was prefaced by a three-hour stroll around the beautiful city. I felt pretty awful today, but I refused to let myself sit inside all day, so I chose to venture with Nicole, one of my friends who is living in a home stay. We went to Via del Corso and popped in and out of cute shops. I made myself a mental shopping list of all the Rome souvenirs I want for myself (uh…and of course for others…), but was too frugal and gross-feeling to think about buying today, one especially being a Roma jersey (for the soccer match that was unfortunately cancelled this weekend, but will be attended hopefully next month). We also ran around to the sights I have already seen just to get some exercise and soak it all in again. This time when we were by the Trevi, we split a banana and nutella-filled crepe. Amazing! Did I mention 30 pounds are on their way? Don’t even try to pretend I’m kidding.

Nicole convinced me to buy Angels & Demons by Dan Brown today for some spare-time reading. Everyone was raving about it before I left and also when I got here. She tells me that it takes place in Rome and actually describes some of the most important sights. I think it will be a good book to read while I’m here, and the theme is also interesting: a battle between science and religion. Always a good battle.

This week flew by…I can’t believe it, especially since last week dragged on, as I was pretty homesick and stressed out by the change of moving to Rome and the final realization that I will be gone for three more months. But after hitting rock bottom last Thursday, and with the help of my best friends and family, I metaphorically shook myself out of my bad attitude and I’ve been really enjoying myself ever since. I have fallen in love with Rome. And I know I have amazing people to go back to in America. I’m in a good place. I am so lucky and so grateful for everything and everyone that I have in my life. This has already been an amazing experience, and there is so much more to do and see!

Grazie a tutti!

2 comments:

  1. Allie, I love your blog and I love knowing that youre doing better this week. Keep loving, living, and eating. Hearing about the food is one of my favorite parts. See it all and keep blogging. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of you reading Angels and Demons in Rome. Ah, can I come play? I miss you so much darling.

    Hope all is well!

    Best,

    Hannah Katy

    ReplyDelete